Certification in Orthopedic Manual Therapy
With a shift in payment models that focus on outcomes, it’s expected that many physical therapy businesses will seek highly-qualified and educated professionals to comply with new standards. We believe that hands-on skills are necessary to influence outcomes. At the Nxt Gen Institute of Physical Therapy, we have developed our Certification in Orthopedic Manual Therapy based-upon the teachings of the late, Dr. Richard Erhard. Our COMT track, teaches how to positively impact human movement system through a logical, clinical decision making model. We are the first manual therapy program that also focuses on how to definitely make a physical therapy diagnosis and prognosis, prior to intervention.
Program Director: Mike Timko, MS, FAAOMPT
Target Audience: Physical Therapists
Application Deadline: This program has a rolling start and you may begin by enrolling in any of the required courses listed below. You can alternatively enroll below for the full tuition cost of $3,350.
- Must hold a state license to practice physical therapy
- Must have professional liability insurance
- Must be employed and have diverse mix of patients
- Must have a computer and good internet connection
This 18-24 month curriculum focuses on blending content on Clinical Reasoning and Manual Therapy. Below are details on the required courses within the program:
- 201: Certification in Orthopedic Manual Therapy
- 201a: Applied Medical Screening Principles: Triaging the Patient with Presumed Neuromusculoskeletal Dysfunction
- 201b: Clinical Reasoning for the Lower Body Region
- 201c: Considerations for the Management of Low Back Pain: “A System of Classification”
- 201d: Clinical Decision-Making for the Upper Body Region
- 201e: Considerations for the Management of Neck Pain: “Biomechanical Assessment of the Cervical Spine”
- 201f: Movement Control and Pain Science
- 201g: COMT Cert. Prep
- 201h: COMT Written Exam
- 201i: COMT Oral Practical Exam
Participation in online discussion is required within the curriculum. This is conducted through Microsoft Office 365.
Our programs are built upon a learning management system which is located directly within Microsoft Office 365. All technology fees are included within tuition costs. You will receive access to Office 365, starting from your start date.
Multi-Site Accreditation has been granted for the incorporate of this curriculum in our Fellowship in Orthopedic Manual Physical Therapy.