With a shift in payment models that focus on outcomes, it’s expected that many physical therapy businesses will seek highly-qualified and educated professionals to comply with new standards. If you have successfully completed your DPT, Nxt Gen Institute of Physical Therapy’s Orthopedic Residency could be your next step in pursuing your career potential and becoming a board-certified expert in Orthopedics. This hybrid-learning program is designed to provide students with critical-thinking and problem-solving skills, as well as the fundamental knowledge relevant to pass the Orthopedic Clinical Specialist examination.
Program Director: Bob Duvall, PT, DPT, DSc, OCS, SCS, FAAOMPT
Curriculum Coordinator: Lacey Cline, PT, MPT, OCS, COMT, Fellow-in-Training
Target Audience: Physical Therapists
Application Deadline: All applicants to Orthopedic Residency must complete two applications. Enrollment is open until 12/1/2018 for the 2019 cohort. Program begins 1/1/2019.
- Apply through RFPTCAS and choose “Nxt Gen Institute of PT Orthopedic Residency”
- Apply directly to the Nxt Gen Institute below
- Must hold a state license to practice physical therapy
- Must be an APTA member (Orthopedic Section) in good standing
- Must have professional liability insurance
- Must be employed and have diverse mix of patients
- Must have a computer and good internet connection
This 12-month curriculum focuses on blending content on basic sciences, orthopedics and direct access. Below are details on the required courses within the program:
- 101: Understanding Orthopedics
- 101a: Basic Sciences
- 101b: Current Concepts of Orthopedics
- 101c: Post-Operative Orthopedics
- 101d: Pharmacology
- 101e: Radiology and Diagnostic Imaging
- 102: Understanding Direct Access
- 102a: Differential Diagnosis and Medical Screening
- 102b: Triage of the Upper Body
- 102c: Triage of the Lower Body
- 102d: Direct Access in PT/Clinical Reasoning 1
- 103: Fundamentals in Orthopedics and Direct Access Lab
- 104: Nxt Gen Mentoring and Leadership
Mentorship from a board-certified PT is a requirement within this program.
- 150 hours of Direct 1:1 Mentorship
Our programs are built upon a learning management system which is located directly within Microsoft Office 365. All technology fees are included within tuition costs. You will receive 1-year access to Office 365, starting from your start date.
Multi-Site Accreditation has been granted by: